We help people work together to stop adults being abused.
What we do
- We write policies and procedures with our partners so that organisations work together to more effectively safeguard adults with support needs who may be at risk and prevent abuse.
- We monitor different types of abuse and how it is dealt with, and constantly improve how this can be done. We want to learn more about what works well.
- We provide opportunities for learning and development to ensure we work together to make safeguarding personal and enable people to feel safe.
- We make people aware of how serious abuse is, and help them to take action to prevent it.
- We take abusers, and organisations that are not keeping people safe, to court.
Who we are
Sandwell Safeguarding Adults Board is made up of representatives from:
- Health services, Local Authority, Uniformed Services and Voluntary/Community organisations including:
- NHS Sandwell & West Birmingham Hospital Trust
- Black Country Integrated Care Board – Sandwell Place
- Black Country Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
- Sandwell Adult Social Care
- Sandwell Housing
- West Midlands Police
- Sandwell Community and Voluntary Organisations (SCVO)
- Sandwell Safeguarding Adults Board Business Team
- Independent Chair
In Sandwell we aim to prevent and reduce the risk of significant harm to adults with care and support needs from abuse or other types of exploitation, whilst supporting individuals in maintaining control over their lives and in making informed choices without coercion.
Additionally to the board there are 3 sub groups which drive the work of the board and partnership.
Sub Groups – The engine that drives the work of the Sandwell Safeguarding Adults Board
Activity of sub groups should inform priority setting for the Board and support Sandwell based conversations, identify key themes, risks and opportunities.
Sub Groups can sponsor and undertake key activity to enable the identification of themes, trends, hear what people are telling us and support key lines of enquiry.
The 3 groups are:
Prevention incorporating Learning and Development
Quality & Excellence incorporating Protection
Safeguarding Adults Review Panel
Prevention – incorporating Learning and Development
Aims to continue to raise awareness of adult abuse communicating effectively with all partners and members of the public, highlighting prevention initiatives and good practice, as well as continuing to provide training and learning opportunities for all. Also to contribute and influence the strategic development of practice, procedure and policy.
Quality & Excellence – incorporating Protection
Continue to focus on effective delivery and high quality processes, also to write, review and influence the strategic development of practice, procedure and policies as well as seeking assurance for the board.
SAR Panel (Safeguarding Adults Review)
To undertake Safeguarding Adults Reviews where appropriate and disseminate the learning from them.
The Sub Groups have recently been re-focused to enable;
- Effective connectivity between the Sub Groups
- Workplans that reflect the relationship between the agenda’s and the identified key lines of enquiry or areas of work being developed
- The opportunity to link agenda’s for example, learning from SAR’s informing the prevention agenda or key lines of enquiry identified by Quality & Excellence informing the broader protection agenda which in turn links to meaningful prevention work
- All of the above activity informing any new or ongoing priorities adopted by the SSAB
Sandwell’s Safeguarding Adults Board ensures all partner organisations work together to prevent abuse and to protect people if they are harmed or exploited.
For more information